Over the past couple months I’ve spent most of my time working on a tile based game with gigantic fighting robots. Initially I tried to find movement tiles and paths with a brute force search. But it was quite buggy, instead I ended up using the A* (A Star) Pathfinding Algorithm for my tile game. To learn how it worked I built a fully interactive A* demo that you can play with.
The A* demo allows you to build paths with blockers and different tile heights. Demo includes details on the searches measurements and a general overview of how it works. You can download the source code to help build your own implementation.